quarta-feira, 14 de setembro de 2011

Antonia Susan Byatt

 "I write novels because I am passionately interested in language. Novels are works of art which are made out of language, and are made in solitude by one person and read in solitude by one person - by many different, single people, it is to be hoped. So I am also interested in what goes on in the minds of readers, and writers, and characters and narrators in books. I like to write about people who think, to whom thinking is as important and exciting (and painful) as sex or eating. This doesn't mean I want my boks to be cerebral or simple battles of ideas. I love formal patterning in novels - I like to discover and make connections between all sorts of different people, things, ways of looking, points in time and space. But I also like the ideia that novels can be, as James said, 'loose baggy monsters', a generous form taht can take account of almost anything. Temperametally, and morally, I like novels with large numbers of people and centers of consciousness, not novels that adopt a narrow single point-of-view, author's or character's. I don't like novels that preach or proselytise. (I fear people with very violent beliefs, though I admire people with thought-out principles.) The novel is an agnostic form - it explores and describes; the novelist and the reader learn more about the world along the length of the book."

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário